[openstack-dev] [NOVA] How boot an instance on specific compute with provider-network: physnet1

Géza Gémes geza.gemes at ericsson.com
Wed Aug 17 15:53:38 UTC 2016

On 08/17/2016 05:38 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
> On 08/17/2016 08:25 AM, Kelam, Koteswara Rao wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have two computes
>>
>> Compute node 1:
>> 1. physnet3:br-eth0
>>
>> 2. physnet2: br-eth2
>>
>> Compute node 2:
>> 1. physnet3:br-eth0
>> 2. physnet1:br-eth1
>> 3. physnet2:br-eth2
>>
>> When I boot an instance with a network of provider-network physnet1,
>> nova is scheduling it on compute1 but there is no physnet1 on compute1
>> and it fails.
>>
>> Is there any mechanism/way to choose correct compute with correct
>> provider-network?
>
> Well, the --availability-zone option can be given a host name
> separated from an optional actual availability zone identifier by a
> colon:
>
> nova boot .. --availability-zone :hostname ...
>
> But specifying a specific host rather than just an availability zone
> requires the project to have forced_host (or is it force_host?)
> capabilities.  You could, perhaps, define the two computes to be
> separate availability zones to work around that.
>
> rick jones

Hi,

Does it help if you boot your VMs, with pre-created neutron ports,
rather than a neutron network? I think nova is supposed to bind then and
failing that it shall rescedule the VM (up to the configured re-schedule
attempts (3 by default)). I think this is an area, where e.g. one of the
physnet would relate to an SRIOV PF the PciDeviceFilter would be able to
select the right host from beginning.

Cheers,

Geza