[openstack-dev] [NOVA] How boot an instance on specific compute with provider-network: physnet1

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hpe.com
Wed Aug 17 15:38:34 UTC 2016

On 08/17/2016 08:25 AM, Kelam, Koteswara Rao wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have two computes
>
> Compute node 1:
> 1. physnet3:br-eth0
>
> 2. physnet2: br-eth2
>
> Compute node 2:
> 1. physnet3:br-eth0
> 2. physnet1:br-eth1
> 3. physnet2:br-eth2
>
> When I boot an instance with a network of provider-network physnet1,
> nova is scheduling it on compute1 but there is no physnet1 on compute1
> and it fails.
>
> Is there any mechanism/way to choose correct compute with correct
> provider-network?

Well, the --availability-zone option can be given a host name separated
from an optional actual availability zone identifier by a colon:

nova boot .. --availability-zone :hostname ...

But specifying a specific host rather than just an availability zone
requires the project to have forced_host (or is it force_host?)
capabilities.  You could, perhaps, define the two computes to be
separate availability zones to work around that.

rick jones