[openstack-dev] [infra] Project tailored VM image for Jenkins jobs

eran at itsonlyme.name eran at itsonlyme.name
Thu Aug 11 07:30:07 UTC 2016

> It's less that we have a specially tailored image for DevStack, and
> more that our "standard" images pre-cache any downloads that
> DevStack claims it may use... basically we cache all of the
> $IMAGE_URLS list built up in
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/stackrc as
> returned by the
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/tools/image_list.sh
> script.
So it seems the way to go is:
1. Upload what we need to e.g.:
http://tarballs.openstack.org/storlet/images/docker/ubuntu_14.04.tar.gz
2. Add the corresponding IMAGE_URL entry to stackrc
3. Grab it from cache from within our scripts executed by Jenkins.

> Keeping the set of images we cache on our nodes trimmed to a limited>
> number and only caching reasonably small images is important,
> however, since our base images are already quite large (in the
> neighborhood of 5GiB as compressed qcow2) and we don't want to bloat
> them further if we can help it.
The .tar.gz we need is ~65MB, would that be ok?

Thanks very much!
Eran