[openstack-dev] [infra] Project tailored VM image for Jenkins jobs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Aug 8 16:21:56 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-08 06:00:14 -0500 (-0500), eran at itsonlyme.name wrote:
[...]
> One solution we were thinking of is having a VM image that
> contains the Docker image we need (e.g. saved using docker save),
> thus bypassing the need to do "docker pull". Is that possible? I
> realise that so far probably devstack is the only example making a
> special tailored image.

It's less that we have a specially tailored image for DevStack, and
more that our "standard" images pre-cache any downloads that
DevStack claims it may use... basically we cache all of the
$IMAGE_URLS list built up in
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/stackrc as
returned by the
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/tools/image_list.sh
script.

Keeping the set of images we cache on our nodes trimmed to a limited
number and only caching reasonably small images is important,
however, since our base images are already quite large (in the
neighborhood of 5GiB as compressed qcow2) and we don't want to bloat
them further if we can help it.
--
Jeremy Stanley