[openstack-dev] [neutron + ovn] Does neutron ovn plugin support to setup multiple neutron networks for one container?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 21:11:57 UTC 2015

On 09/30/2015 04:09 PM, Murali R wrote:
> Russel,
>
> For instance if I have a nsh header embedded in vxlan in the incoming
> packet, I was wondering if I can transfer that to geneve options
> somehow. This is just as an example. I may have header other info either
> in vxlan or ip that needs to enter the ovn network and if we have
> generic ovs commands to handle that, it will be useful. If commands
> don't exist but extensible then I can do that as well.

Well, OVS itself doesn't support NSH yet.  There are patches on the OVS
dev mailing list for it, though.

http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-September/060678.html

Are you interested in SFC?  I have been thinking about that and don't
think it will be too hard to add support for it in OVN.  I'm not sure
when I'll work on it, but it's high on my personal todo list.  If you
want to do it with NSH, that will require OVS support first, of course.

If you're interested in more generic extensibility of OVN, there's at
least going to be one talk about that at the OVS conference in November.
 If you aren't there, it will be on video.  I'm not sure what ideas they
will be proposing.

Since we're on the OpenStack list, I assume we're talking in the
OpenStack context.  For any feature we're talking about, we also have to
talk about how that is exposed through the Neutron API.  So, "generic
extensibility" doesn't immediately make sense for the Neutron case.

SFC certainly makes sense.  There's a Neutron project for adding an SFC
API and from what I've seen so far, I think we'll be able to extend OVN
such that it can back that API.

--
Russell Bryant