[openstack-dev] [magnum]swarm + compose = k8s?

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Wed Sep 30 16:31:01 UTC 2015

Thanks everyone who has provided feedback on this thread. The good news is that most of what has been asked for from Magnum is actually in scope already, and some of it has already been implemented. We never aimed to be a COE deployment service. That happens to be a necessity to achieve our more ambitious goal: We want to provide a compelling Containers-as-a-Service solution for OpenStack clouds in a way that offers maximum leverage of what’s already in OpenStack, while giving end users the ability to use their favorite tools to interact with their COE of choice, with the multi-tenancy capability we expect from all OpenStack services, and simplified integration with a wealth of existing OpenStack services (Identity, Orchestration, Images, Networks, Storage, etc.).

The areas we have disagreement are whether the features offered for the k8s COE should be mirrored in other COE’s. We have not attempted to do that yet, and my suggestion is to continue resisting that temptation because it is not aligned with our vision. We are not here to re-invent container management as a hosted service. Instead, we aim to integrate prevailing technology, and make it work great with OpenStack. For example, adding docker-compose capability to Magnum is currently out-of-scope, and I think it should stay that way. With that said, I’m willing to have a discussion about this with the community at our upcoming Summit.

An argument could be made for feature consistency among various COE options (Bay Types). I see this as a relatively low value pursuit. Basic features like integration with OpenStack Networking and OpenStack Storage services should be universal. Whether you can present a YAML file for a bay to perform internal orchestration is not important in my view, as long as there is a prevailing way of addressing that need. In the case of Docker Bays, you can simply point a docker-compose client at it, and that will work fine.

Thanks,

Adrian