[openstack-dev] [fuel][shotgun] do we still use subs?

Alexander Gordeev agordeev at mirantis.com
Wed Sep 30 13:05:15 UTC 2015

Hello fuelers,

My question is related to shotgun tool[1] which will be invoked in
order to generate the diagnostic snapshot.

It has possibilities to substitute particular sensitive data such as
credentials/hostnames/IPs/etc with meaningless values. It's done by
Subs [2] object driver.

However, it seems that subs is not used anymore. Well, at least it was
turned off by default for fuel 5.1 [3] and newer. I won't able to find
any traces of its usage in the code at fuel-web repo.

Seems that this piece of code for subs could be ditched. Even more, it
should be ditched as it looks like a fifth wheel from the project
architecture point of view. As shotgun is totally about getting the
actual logs, but not about corrupting them unpredictably with sed
scripts.

Proper log sanitization is the another story entirely. I doubt if it
could be fitted into shotgun and being effective and/or well designed
at the same time.

Perhaps, i missed something and subs is still being used actively.
So, folks don't hesitate to respond, if you know something which helps
to shed a light on subs.

Let's discuss anything related to subs or even vote on its removal.
Maybe we need to wait for another 2 years to pass until we could
finally get rid of it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/stackforge/fuel-web/tree/master/shotgun