[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [cinder] [all] The future of Cinder API v1

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 12:23:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 08:10:43AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 09/30/2015 07:29 AM, Ivan Kolodyazhny wrote:
> > Sean,
> >
> > openstack client supports Cinder API v2 since Liberty. What it the right
> > way ti fix grenade?
>
> Here's the thing.
>
> With this change: Rally doesn't work, novaclient doesn't work, grenade
> doesn't work. Apparently nearly all the libraries in the real world
> don't work.
>
> I feel like that list of incompatibilities should have been collected
> before this change. Managing a major API transition is a big deal, and
> having a pretty good idea who you are going to break before you do it is
> important. Just putting it out there and watching fallout isn't the
> right approach.

I have to agree, breaking APIs is a very big deal for consumers of
those APIs. When you break API you are trading off less work for
maintainers, vs extra pain for users. IMHO intentionally creating
pain for users is something that should be avoided unless there is
no practical alternative. I'd go as far as to say we should never
break API at all, which would mean keeping v1 around forever,
albeit recommending people use v2. If we really do want to kill
v1 and inflict pain on consumers, then we need to ensure that pain
is as close to zero as possible. This means we should not kill v1
until we've verified that all known current clients impl of v1 have
a v2 implementation available.

Regards,
Daniel