[openstack-dev] [neutron] How could an L2 agent extension access agent methods ?

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 11:09:08 UTC 2015

> [...]
>>> - "determine segmentation id for a network": this is something really OVS-agent-specific, the linuxbridge agent uses multiple linux bridges, and does not rely on internal segmentation
>>>
>>> Completely abstracting out packet forwarding pipelines in OVS and linuxbridge agents would possibly allow defining an interface that agent extension could use without to know about anything specific to OVS or the linuxbridge, but I believe this is a very significant taks to tackle.
>>
>> If you look for a clean way to integrate with reference agents, then it’s something that we should try to achieve. I agree it’s not an easy thing.
>>
>> Just an idea: can we have a resource for traffic forwarding, similar to security groups? I know folks are not ok with extending security groups API due to compatibility reasons, so maybe fwaas is the place to experiment with it.
>>
>>> Hopefully it will be acceptable to create an interface, even it exposes a set of methods specific to the linuxbridge agent and a set of methods specific to the OVS agent.  That would mean that the agent extension that can work in both contexts (not our case yet) would check the agent type before using the first set or the second set.
>>
>> The assumption of the whole idea of l2 agent extensions is that they are agent agnostic. In case of QoS, we implemented a common QoS extension that can be plugged in any agent [1], and a set of backend drivers (atm it’s just sr-iov [2] and ovs [3]) that are selected based on the driver type argument passed into the extension manager [4][5]. Your extension could use similar approach to select the backend.
>>
>> [1]: https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/agent/l2/extensions/qos.py#n169
>> [2]: https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/mech_sriov/agent/extension_drivers/qos_driver.py
>> [3]: https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/openvswitch/agent/extension_drivers/qos_driver.py
>> [4]: https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/openvswitch/agent/ovs_neutron_agent.py#n395
>> [5]: https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/mech_sriov/agent/sriov_nic_agent.py#n155
>
> I disagree on the agent-agnostic thing. QoS extension for SR-IOV is totally not agnostic for OVS or LB, in the QoS case, it's just
> accidental that OVS & LB share common bridges now due to the OVS Hybrid implementation that leverages linux bridge

Wait. The QoS extension has nothing agent backend specific. All it does is it receives rpc updates for tracked resources and pass them into qos drivers. Those latter are the bits that implement backend specific operations. So I am not sure why you say the extension itself is agent specific: any other amqp based agent in the wild can adopt the extension as-is, only providing a new backend to load.

> I agree on having a well defined interface, on which API is available to talking back to each agent, and it has to be common, where
> it's possible to be common.
>
> It doesn't have to be easy, but it's the way if we want a world where those commonalities and reusability of extensions can
> exist and not be just accidental, but it's not realistic in my opinion to AIM for it on every shot. I believe we should try where we can
> but we should be open to agent specific extensions. The idea of the extensions is that you can extend specific agents without
> being forced to have the main loop hijacked, or eventually having off tree code plugged into our agents.

Partially, yes. The culprit here is how much the extension API should know about an agent. We can probably make the extension API completely extendable by allowing agents to pass any random kwargs into the extension manager that will forward them into extensions. Note that it breaks current API for extensions and technically breaks it (not that I know of any external extensions that could be affected so far).

> There we should add support to identify the type of agent the extension works with (compatibility, versioning, etc..)

We already pass the type into extension manager, and that’s how we plug in the proper backend driver in QoS.