[openstack-dev] [all] -1 due to line length violation in commit messages

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Sep 28 21:24:43 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Morgan Fainberg's message of 2015-09-26 23:36:09 -0700:
> As a core (and former PTL) I just ignored commit message -1s unless there is something majorly wrong (no bug id where one is needed, etc).
>
> I appreciate well formatted commits, but can we let this one go? This discussion is so far into the meta-bike-shedding (bike shedding about bike shedding commit messages) ... If a commit message is *that* bad a -1 (or just fixing it?) Might be worth it. However, if a commit isn't missing key info (bug id? Bp? Etc) and isn't one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic, there isn't a good reason to block the review.
>
> It is not worth having a bot -1 bad commits or even having gerrit muck with them. Let's do the job of the reviewer and actually review code instead of going crazy with commit messages.

Agreed with all of your sentiments.

Please anyone -1'ing for this, read this:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages#Summary_of_Git_commit_message_structure

"The first line should be limited to 50 characters and should not end
with a period (commit messages over 72 characters will be rejected by
the gate)."

"Subsequent lines should be wrapped at 72 characters."

Notice, the word "should" is used, not "must".

So _DO NOT_ -1 for this. A "should" is a guideline, and a note like
"hey could you wrap at 72 chars if you push again? We like to keep them
formatted that way, see [link] for more info. Thanks! #notAMinusOne"

Please can we not spend another minute on this? Thanks!