[openstack-dev] Compute API (Was Re: [nova][cinder] how to handle AZ bug 1496235?)

James Penick jpenick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 19:59:32 UTC 2015

>I see a clear line between something that handles the creation of all
ancillary resources needed to boot a VM and then the creation of the VM
itself.

I agree. To me the line is the difference between creating a top level
resource, and adding a host to that resource.

For example, I do expect a top level compute API to:
-Request an IP from Neutron
-Associate an instance with a volume
-Add an instance to a network security group in Neutron
-Add a real to a vip in neutron

But I don't expect Nova to:
-Create tenant/provider networks in Neutron
-Create a volume (boot from volume is a weird case)
-Create a neutron security group
-Create a load balancer

Also, if Nova is the API for all things compute, then there are some things
it will need to support that are not specific to VMs. For example, with
Ironic my users expect to use the Nova API/CLI to boot a baremetal compute
resource, and specify raid configuration as well as drive layout. My
understanding is there has been pushback on adding that to Nova, since it
doesn't make sense to have RAID config when building a VM. But, if Nova is
the compute abstraction layer, then we'll need a graceful way to express
this.

-James