[openstack-dev] [cinder] The Absurdity of the Milestone-1 Deadline for Drivers

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:11:18 UTC 2015

I can definitely see your logic, but we've a history in cinder of vendors
trying to cram drivers in at the last minute which we very much wanted to
stop dead. I might suggest that the second milestone, rather than the first
might be a better one to dedicate to driver reviews...

An interesting thing is that, from the point of view of cinder core, we
don't need more drivers. We've drivers coming out of our ears. Sure it is
incrementally better to get more drivers, but we've got far more to gain
from harnessing the developers of companies who want to merge new drivers
for core work (or ci improvements, or translation or docs improvements or
whatever) than we do from yet another driver. Increasing the bar for enter
slightly does us no major harm that I can tell - there's a clear benefit
from having your driver in tree, so if there's a small 'tax' to get added
then I suspect we can benefit from it substantially.

Definitely worth reviewing deadlines and other bureaucracy occasionally and
working out if it is still serving us well.

Cheers