[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Recent proposal to remove NetApp drivers

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 25 19:34:15 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-25 13:15:24 -0600 (-0600), John Griffith wrote:
[...]
> It seems that there are folks that have taken quite a bit of offense to
> this, and are more than mildly upset with me.  To them I apologize if this
> upset you.  I will say however that given the same situation and timing, I
> would do the same thing again.  I'm a bit offended that there are
> accusations that I'm intentionally doing something against NetApp (or any
> Vendor here).  I won't even dignify the comments by responding, I'll just
> let my contributions and involvement in the community speak for itself.
[...]

For what it's worth, I was personally shocked to see developers
connected to our community copy Apache-licensed software contributed
by others into a proprietary derivative and redistribute it without
attribution in clear violation of the Apache license. I understand
that free software licenses are a bit of an enigma for traditional
enterprises, but I hold our community to a higher standard than
that. Contributing to free software means, among other things, that
you actually ought to understand the licenses under which those
contributions are made.

I was however pleased to see today that a new upload of the
offending library, while still not distributed under a free license,
now at least seems to me (in my non-lawyer opinion) to be abiding by
the terms of the Apache license for the parts of OpenStack it
includes. Thank you for taking our software's licenses seriously!
--
Jeremy Stanley