[openstack-dev] [Ironic] New dhcp provider using isc-dhcp-server

Dmitry Tantsur divius.inside at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:40:53 UTC 2015

:

> Hello, guys!
>
> I'm starting a new implementation for a dhcp provider,
> mainly to be used for Ironic standalone. I'm planning to
> push it upstream. I'm using isc-dhcp-server service from
> Linux. So, when an Ironic node is started, the ironic-conductor
> writes in the config file the MAC-IP reservation for that node and
> reloads dhcp service. I'm using a SQL database as a backend to store
> the dhcp reservations (I think is cleaner and it should allow us
> to have more than one DHCP server). What do you think about my
> implementation ?

What you describe slightly resembles how ironic-inspector works. It needs
to serve DHCP to nodes that are NOT know to Ironic, so it manages iptables
rules giving (or not giving access) to the dnsmasq instance. I wonder if we
may find some common code between these 2, but I definitely don't want to
reinvent Neutron :) I'll think about it after seeing your spec and/or code,
I'm already looking forward to them!

> Also, I'm not sure how can I scale this out to provide HA/failover.
> Do you guys have any idea ?
>
> Regards,
> Ionut Balutoiu

-- Dmitry Tantsur