[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] how to handle AZ bug 1496235?

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at internap.com
Wed Sep 23 20:30:14 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-23 4:12 PM, Andrew Laski wrote:
> On 09/23/15 at 02:55pm, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>>
>> Heh, so when I just asked in the cinder channel if we can just
>> deprecate nova boot from volume with source=(image|snapshot|blank)
>> (which automatically creates the volume and polls for it to be
>> available) and then add a microversion that doesn't allow it, I was
>> half joking, but I see we're on the same page.  This scenario seems to
>> introduce a lot of orchestration work that nova shouldn't necessarily
>> be in the business of handling.
>
> I am very much in support of this.  This has been a source of
> frustration for our users because it is prone to failures we can't
> properly expose to users and timeouts.  There are much better places to
> handle the orchestration of creating a volume and then booting from it
> than Nova.

Unfortunately, this is a feature our users *heavily* rely on and we
worked very hard to make it happen. We had a private patch on our side
for years to optimize boot-from-volume before John Griffith came up with
an upstream solution for SolidFire [2] and others with a generic
solution [3] [4].

Being able to "nova boot" and have everything done for you is awesome.
Just see what Monty Taylor mentioned in his thread about sane default
networking [1]. Having orchestration on the client side is just
something our users don't want to have to do and often complain about.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-September/074527.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142859/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/195795/