[openstack-dev] [nova] About availability zones

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Sep 23 08:08:33 UTC 2015

Le 23/09/2015 08:56, Feodor Tersin a écrit :
> Hi.
>
>     /Currently, when performing live-migration the AZ of the instance
>     didn't update. In usecase like this:/
>     /Instance_1 is in host1 which is in az1, we live-migrate it to
>     host2 (provide host2 in API request) which is in az2. The
>     operation will secusess but the availability zone data stored in
>     instance1 is still az1, this may cause inconsistency with the az
>     data stored in instance db and the actual az. I think update the
>     az information in instance using the host az can solve this./
>

> Since a host can be included into different AZs, you probably need to
> allow a caller optionally to specify a target AZ. And as i understand
> the same problem occurs for resize, evacuate and other similar
> operations, doesn't it?

No, an host can't be in two different AZs. It can be in two or more
aggregates, but then only one of those aggregates can be having an AZ
metadata key.
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/1df8248b6ad7982174c417abf80070107eac8909/nova/compute/api.py#L3645-L3670

FWIW, I provided a devref change for explaining that :
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223802/

-Sylvain