[openstack-dev] [murano] [app-catalog] versions for murano assets in the catalog

Serg Melikyan smelikyan at mirantis.com
Tue Sep 22 19:06:38 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

concern regarding assets versioning in Community App Catalog indeed
affects Murano because we are constantly improving our language and
adding new features, e.g. we added ability to select existing Neutron
network for particular application in Liberty and if user wants to use
this feature - his application will be incompatible with Kilo. I think
this also valid for Heat because they HOT language is also improving
with each release.

Thank you for proposing workaround, I think this is a good way to
solve immediate blocker while Community App Catalog team is working on
resolving handling versions elegantly from they side. Kirill proposed
two changes in Murano to follow this approach that I've already +2 ed:

* https://review.openstack.org/225251 - openstack/murano-dashboard
* https://review.openstack.org/225249 - openstack/python-muranoclient

Looks like corresponding commit to Community App Catalog is already
merged [0] and our next step is to prepare new version of applications
from openstack/murano-apps and then figure out how to publish them
properly.

P.S. I've also talked with Alexander and Kirill regarding better ways
to handle versioning for assets in Community App Catalog and they
shared that they are starting working on PoC using Glance Artifact
Repository, probably they can share more details regarding this work
here. We would be happy to work on this together given that in Liberty
we implemented experimental support for package versioning inside the
Murano (e.g. having two version of the same app working side-by-side)
[1]