[openstack-dev] [releases] semver and dependency changes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Sep 22 14:03:32 UTC 2015

Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]
> So, one answer we can use is "The version impact of a requirements
> change is never less than the largest version change in the change."
> That is:
> nothing -> a requirement -> major version change

That feels a bit too much. In a lot of cases, the added requirement will
be used in a new, backward-compatible feature (requiring y bump), or
will serve to remove code without changing functionality (requiring z
bump). I would think that the cases where a new requirement requires a x
bump are rare.

> 1.x.y -> 2.0.0 -> major version change
> 1.2.y -> 1.3.0 -> minor version change
> 1.2.3. -> 1.2.4 -> patch version change

The last two sound like good rules of thumb.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)