[openstack-dev] [neutron] Neutron debugging tool

Ganesh Narayanan (ganeshna) ganeshna at cisco.com
Tue Sep 22 03:25:38 UTC 2015

Another project for diagnosing OVS in Neutron:

https://github.com/CiscoSystems/don

Thanks,
Ganesh

From: Salvatore Orlando <salv.orlando at gmail.com<mailto:salv.orlando at gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, 21 September 2015 2:55 pm
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron] Neutron debugging tool

It sounds like indeed that easyOVS covers what you're aiming too.
However, from what I gather there is still plenty to do in easy OVS, so perhaps rather than starting a new toolset from scratch you might build on the existing one.

Personally I'd welcome its adoption into the Neutron stadium as debugging control plane/data plane issues in the neutron reference impl is becoming difficult also for expert users and developers.
I'd just suggest renaming it because calling it "OVS" is just plain wrong. The neutron reference implementation and OVS are two distinct things.

As concern neutron-debug, this is a tool that was developed in the early stages of the project to verify connectivity using "probes" in namespaces. These probes are simply tap interfaces associated with neutron ports. The neutron-debug tool is still used in some devstack exercises. Nevertheless, I'd rather keep building something like easyOVS and then deprecated neutron-debug rather than develop it.

Salvatore