[openstack-dev] [CINDER] [PTL Candidates] Questions

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hpe.com
Mon Sep 21 17:45:13 UTC 2015

> 1. Do you actually have the time to spend to be PTL
>
> I don't think many people realize the time commitment. Between being
> on top of reviews and having a pretty consistent view of what's going
> on and in process; to meetings, questions on IRC, program management
> type stuff etc.  Do you feel you'll have the ability for PTL to be
> your FULL Time job?  Don't forget you're working with folks in a
> community that spans multiple time zones.
The short answer to this is yes.   Prior to even putting up my candidacy
I spoke with my management and informed them of what would be involved
with being PTL for Cinder, and that meant it was an upstream job.  I've
been working on Cinder for 3 years now and have seen the amount of time
that you and Mike have spent on the project, and it's significant to say
the least.   The wiki has a good guide for PTL candidates here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PTL_Guide.   It's a decent start and
more of a "PTL for dummies" guide and is by no means everything a PTL is
and has to do.  Being a PTL means more than just attending meetings,
doing reviews, and communication.  It means being the lead evangelist
and ambassador for Cinder.   As PTL of a project, it's also important
not to forget about the future of the community and encourage new
members to contribute code to Cinder core itself, to help make Cinder a
better project.  For example, the recent additions by Kendall Nelson to
work on the cinder.conf.sample file
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/219700).  The patch itself might have
more follow up work, as noted in the review, but she was very responsive
and was on top of the code to try and get it to land.  Sean, John and
myself all helped with reviews on that patch and worked together as a
team to help Kendall with her efforts.  We need more new contributors
like her.  The more inclusive and encouraging of new members in the
community the better.   I remember starting out working on Cinder back
in the Grizzly time frame and I also remember John, as the PTL, being
very helpful and encouraging of my efforts to learn how to write a
driver and how to contribute in general.  It was a very welcoming
experience at the time.  That is the type of PTL I'd like to be to help
repay the community.

> 2. What are your plans to make the Cinder project as a core component
> better (no... really, what specifically and how does it make Cinder
> better)?
>
> Most candidates are representing a storage vendor naturally.  Everyone
> says "make Cinder better"; But how do you intend to balance vendor
> interest and the interest of the general project?  Where will your
> focus in the M release be?  On your vendor code or on Cinder as a
> whole?  Note; I'm not suggesting that anybody isn't doing the "right"
> thing here, I'm just asking for specifics.
  I believe I detailed some of these in my candidacy letter.   I firmly
believe that there are some Nova and Cinder interactions that need to
get fixed.  This will be a good first step along the way to allowing
active/active c-vol services.   Making Cinder better means not only
guiding the direction of features and fixes, but it also means
encouraging the community of driver developers to get involved and
informed about Cinder core itself.   We need a cinder driver developer
how to guide.  There are some items for driver developers that they need
to be aware of, and it would be great to be able to point folks to that
place.  For example, Fibre Channel drivers need to use the Fibre Channel
Zone Manager utils decorators during initialize_connection and
terminate_connection time.   Also, during terminate_connection time, a
driver needs to not always return the initiator_target_map.   Where is
that documented?  It's not, and it's only being caught in reviews.  The
trick as always is keeping that guide relevant with updates.

   I've been pretty fortunate at HP, to be able to convince my
management, that working on Cinder specific issues as a priority, such
as multi-attach, os-brick, live migration, Nova <--> Cinder interactions
to name a few.   My team at HP isn't just responsible for maintaining
3PAR/LeftHand drivers to Cinder.  We are also involved in making Cinder
a more robust, scalable project, so that we can make a better Helion
product for our customers.  Helion is OpenStack and how we work on
Helion is to first and foremost work on OpenStack Cinder and Nova.   So,
from my perspective. HP's interests allow me to work on Cinder core
first and foremost.

> 3. ​Why do you want to be PTL for Cinder?
>
> Seems like a silly question, but really when you start asking that
> question the answers can be surprising and somewhat enlightening.
> There's different motivators for people, what's yours?  By the way,
> "my employer pays me a big bonus if I win" is a perfectly acceptable
> answer in my opinion, I'd prefer honesty over anything else.  You may
> not get my vote, but you'd get respect.
I've been working on various Open Source projects since I got out of
college in 1992.   Since my early days using Linux, I've always wanted
to work full time on Open Source projects, and OpenStack has fit that
bill for me in a big way.  OpenStack is the single best project/product
I've ever worked on, and I feel very fortunate that HP is willing to pay
me to have this much fun.  I personally won't get any addition salary,
monetary benefits or a promotion from being a PTL for Cinder.    What
motivates me is trying to become a better engineer to the point of being
a leader in the community.   I would be honoured and humbled to earn
your vote.

Cheers,
Walt