[openstack-dev] [neutron] [floatingip] Selecting router for floatingip when subnet is connected to multiple routers

Venkata Anil vkommadi at redhat.com
Mon Sep 21 15:19:59 UTC 2015

Hi All

I need your opinion on selecting router for floatingip when subnet is
connected to multiple routers.

When multiple routers connected to a subnet, vm on that subnet will only
send packets destined for external network to the router with subnet's
default gateway.
Should we always choose this router(i.e router with subnet's default
gateway) for floatingip?

We have two scenarios -

1) Multiple routers connected to same subnet and also same external network.
    In this case, which router should we select for floatingip?
    Choose first router in db list or router with default gateway. What
if router with subnet's default gateway not present?

2) Multiple routers connected to same subnet and different external
networks.
    In this case, user has the choice to create floatingip on any
external network( and on the router connected to that external network).
    But this router may not be the one having subnet's default
gateway.   Should we allow this?

Thanks
Anil Venkata