[openstack-dev] [CINDER] [PTL Candidates] Questions

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon Sep 21 01:52:46 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:30:15AM -0600, John Griffith wrote:
> ​PTL nomination emails are good, but I have a few questions that I'd like
> to ask to help me in making my vote.  Some of these are covered in the
> general proposal announcements, but I'd love to hear some more detail.
>
> It would be awesome if the Cinder candidates could spend some time and
> answer these to help me (and maybe others) make an informed choice:

Great idea John. We have a lot of candidates this time around, so it's
probably a good idea to get a little more info before the election is
over.

> 1. Do you actually have the time to spend to be PTL

Yes. Prior to submitting my name I had a few conversations with my
management to make sure this would be something they would support.

I have been assured I could make Cinder my primary and full time
responsibility should I become elected.

> 2. What are your plans to make the Cinder project as a core component
> better (no... really, what specifically and how does it make Cinder better)?
>
> Most candidates are representing a storage vendor naturally.  Everyone says
> "make Cinder better"; But how do you intend to balance vendor interest and
> the interest of the general project?  Where will your focus in the M
> release be?  On your vendor code or on Cinder as a whole?  Note; I'm not
> suggesting that anybody isn't doing the "right" thing here, I'm just asking
> for specifics.

Even though we have some vendor code in Cinder, I'm lucky enough to have
a couple folks on my team that I've been having take care of anything to
do with our driver. My role would be specifically to focus on the core
and overall (multi-vendor contributions, cross-project collaboration, etc.)
contributions.

I can't say I have a specific, actionable plan for exactly what I would
do to "make Cinder better". I think we already have several initiatives
under way in that respect that I would help to make those happen. I
would see my role as more of a facilitator to help provide support and
focus resources on accomplishing these goals.

I would also work with OpenStack operators, other projects that are
consumers of Cinder services, and the community at large to make sure
Cinder is meeting their block storage needs.

> 3. ​Why do you want to be PTL for Cinder?
>
> Seems like a silly question, but really when you start asking that question
> the answers can be surprising and somewhat enlightening.  There's different
> motivators for people, what's yours?  By the way, "my employer pays me a
> big bonus if I win" is a perfectly acceptable answer in my opinion, I'd
> prefer honesty over anything else.  You may not get my vote, but you'd get
> respect.

I won't get a big bonus, and I doubt I would get any kind of promotion
or increase out of this. What I would get is the ability to focus full
time on OpenStack and Cinder. Right now it is one of several of my
responsibilities, and something that I spend a lot of my own time
on because I enjoy working on the project, and working with the folks
involved, and I believe in the future of OpenStack.

I want to be PTL because I feel I could be a "facilitator" of all the
different efforts underway, to help drive them to completion and to
help reduce the distractions away from all the smart folks that are
getting things done. I can organize, communicate, and simplify our efforts.