[openstack-dev] Apache2 vs uWSGI vs ...

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 18:06:51 UTC 2015

The conversations around alternative wsgi containers (uwsgi, gunicorn, etc) still would be tied to apache or nginx. While it is possible to deploy without the webservers in some cases, jt would not be recommended nor do I see that being tested in gate. We want to leverage the auth support of the webserver. While uWSGI has interesting features, it wouldnt really replace nginx or apache. It is just an alternative deployment strategy that makes managing the keystone (or any OpenStack service) processes independent of the web server.

I do not expect any of these choices to have a performance impact. It will ease some operational concerns. There is no reason uwsgi or gunicorn wont work today (I have run keystone with both in a devstack locally). The documentation and communicating the reasons to pick one or the other is all that is needed. From a gate perspective configuration and restarts of the web server could be made easier in devstack with uWSGI. It would not prevent use of mod_wsgi.

--Morgan

Sent via mobile