[openstack-dev] [ironic] PTL candidacy

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 21:35:51 UTC 2015

Hi all,

( repost from https <https://review.openstack.org/223753>://
<https://review.openstack.org/223753>review.openstack.org
<https://review.openstack.org/223753>/223753
<https://review.openstack.org/223753> )

It's that time again, where encumbent PTLs are supposed to write about what
features or changes they accomplished and what goals they have for the next
cycle.

I'm not going to do that this time.

Even you though you may have read similar things from others (either in
this or in previous cycles) I'm going to reiterate something. Contrary to
being the technical lead, OpenStack requires the PTL to do a whole slew of
less glamorous things (or delegate them to other people).

- launchpad monkey
- midcycle coordinator
- release coordinator
- public speaker
- cross project liaison
- vendor buffer
- cat wrangler

Historically, PTL meant "project technical lead", but as OpenStack grew, we
/ the TC realized that it is more^D^D^D^Ddifferent than that, and so now
the acronym is defined as "project team lead" [0]. And that is much more
representative of the responsibilities a PTL has today. In short, being PTL
and the lead architect for a successful/sizable project at the same time ==
two full time jobs.

Even before I was doing anything internal at HP, it seemed like my upstream
work was never done since I was trying to be both the team and tech leads
for Ironic. That said, it was also extremely rewarding to found this
project and exercise my social and organizational skills in building a
community around it. I could not be more satisfied with the results -- all
of you make Ironic much more awesome than I could have done alone. That's
the point, after all :)

Last election cycle, I stepped down from the TC so that I could have more
time for my roles as tech and team lead, and to focus on some internal work
(yup, still three jobs). That other work, for better or for worse, took a
greater tax on me than I had anticipated, and my activity upstream has
suffered (sorry!). This has created room for many of the other core
developers, who've been around the project almost as long as I have, to
come forward and fill in the gaps I left in the project management. And
that's really awesome. Thank you all.

I am thrilled that more of the project responsibilities are being handled
by Jim, Ruby, Chris, Lucas, and everyone else now. They are all leading
different areas in their own ways. As PTLs, each would bring a different
viewpoint to the project's day-to-day operations, and if they were to run,
I would support all of them (even though we disagree some times). Today,
there are multiple people who could run the project in my stead, and that
makes me very happy.

If elected, I promise to continue enabling the core team to do more without
my direct involvement, to continue leading in the technical vision for the
project, and liaising with vendors and operators to ensure the project
matures in such a way that it meets their needs.

If you believe I've done a great job as PTL and want me to continue doing
what I've been doing, then please re-elect me. (*)

If you'd like to see a change of pace, please don't hesitate to elect
another PTL :)

Thank you,
Devananda

(*) If you think I haven't done a great job as PTL, I invite you to tell me
how you think I could do better. For the sake of the election archives,
please don't reply to this email.

[0]
https://github.com/openstack/governance/commit/319fae1ea13775d16f865f886db0388e42cd0d1b