[openstack-dev] Pycharm License for OpenStack developers

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:35:46 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com>
wrote:

> Anyone know about the impact of:
>
> -
> https://mmilinkov.wordpress.com/2015/09/04/jetbrains-lockin-we-told-you-so/
>
> - http://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2015/09/03/introducing-jetbrains-toolbox/
>
> I'm pretty sure a lot of openstack-devs are using pycharms, and wonder
> what this change will mean for those devs?

I have historically purchased my own license (because I believed in
supporting the companies that produce the tools, even though there was a
oss-project license that I didn't need to pay for). I am evaluating if I
wish to continue with jetbrains based on this change or not. They have said
they are evaluating the feedback - I'm willing to see what the end result
will be.

There are other IDE options out there for python and I may consider those.
I haven't run out my license, I am not sure this is enough to change my POV
that pycharm is the best option at the moment for my workflow. It was for
other software I historically purchased (business suites/photo editing) but
those filled a different space.

How much impact will this make to those pure upstream developers? Very
little unless jetbrains ceases the opensource project license.

Just my $0.02.

--Morgan