[openstack-dev] [glance] proposed priorities for Mitaka

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Sep 15 17:22:48 UTC 2015

On 09/15/2015 07:09 PM, stuart.mclaren at hp.com wrote:
>>> I've been looking into the existing task-based-upload that Doug
>>> mentions:
>>> can anyone clarify the following?
>>>
>>> On a default devstack install you can do this 'task' call:
>>>
>>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/462919
>>
>> Yup. That's the one.
>>
>>> as an alternative to the traditional image upload (the bytes are
>>> streamed
>>> from the URL).
>>>
>>> It's not clear to me if this is just an interesting example of the kind
>>> of operator specific thing you can configure tasks to do, or a real
>>> attempt to define an alternative way to upload images.
>>>
>>> The change which added it [1] calls it a 'sample'.
>>>
>>> Is it just an example, or is it a second 'official' upload path?
>>
>> It's how you have to upload images on Rackspace.
>
> Ok, so Rackspace have a task called image_import. But it seems to take
> different json input than the devstack version. (A Swift container/object
> rather than a URL.)
>
> That seems to suggest that tasks really are operator specific, that there
> is no standard task based upload ... and it should be ok to try
> again with a clean slate.

Yes - as long as we don't use the payload as a defacto undefined API to
avoid having specific things implemented in the API I think we're fine.

Like, if it was:

glance import-image

and that presented an interface that had a status field ... I mean,
that's a known OpenStack pattern - it's how nova boot works.

Amongst the badness with this is:

a) It's only implemented in one cloud and at that cloud with special code
b) The interface is "send some JSON to this endpoint, and we'll infer a
special sub-API from the JSON, which is not a published nor versioned API"