[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible][compass] Support of Offline Install

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:51:57 UTC 2015

On 15 September 2015 at 05:36, Weidong Shao <weidongshao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Compass, an openstack deployment project, is in process of using osad
> project in the openstack deployment. We need to support a use case where
> there is no Internet connection. The way we handle this is to split the
> deployment into "build" and "install" phase. In Build phase, the Compass
> server node can have Internet connection and can build local repo and other
> necessary dynamic artifacts that requires Internet connection. In "install"
> phase, the to-be-installed nodes do not have Internet connection, and they
> only download necessary data from Compass server and other services
> constructed in Build phase.
>
> Now, is "offline install" something that OSAD project shall also support?
> If yes, what is the scope of work for any changes, if required.

Currently we don't have a offline install paradigm - but that doesn't mean
that we couldn't shift things around to support it if it makes sense. I
think this is something that we could discuss via the ML, via a spec
review, or at the summit.

Some notes which may be useful:

1. We have support for the use of a proxy server [1].
2. As you probably already know, we build the python wheels for the
environment on the repo-server - so all python wheel installs (except
tempest venv requirements) are done directly from the repo server.
3. All apt-key and apt-get actions are done against online repositories. If
you wish to have these be done online then there would need to be an
addition of some sort of apt-key and apt package mirror which we currently
do not have. If there is a local repo in the environment, the functionality
to direct all apt-key and apt-get install actions against an internal
mirror is all there.

[1]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-ansible/commit/?id=ed7f78ea5689769b3a5e1db444f4c16f3cc06060