[openstack-dev] [ironic] [tripleo] [kolla] Possible to support multiple compute drivers?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:12:44 UTC 2015

On 09/10/2015 12:00 PM, Jeff Peeler wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com
> <mailto:sgordon at redhat.com>> wrote:

Yes, that's the recommended way to direct scheduling requests -- via the
hypervisor_type image property.

 > It's still unknown to me though if a
> separate compute service is required. And if it is required, how much
> segregation is required to make that work.

Yes, a separate nova-compute worker daemon is required to manage the
baremetal Ironic nodes.

> Not being a networking guru, I'm also unsure if the Ironic setup
> instructions to use a flat network is a requirement or is just a sample
> of possible configuration.

AFAIK, flat DHCP networking is currently the only supported network
configuration for Ironic.

 > In a brief out of band conversation I had, it
> does sound like Ironic can be configured to use linuxbridge too, which I
> didn't know was possible.

Well, LinuxBridge vs. OVS isn't really about whether you have a flat
network topology or not. It's just a different way of doing the actual
switching (virtual bridging vs. standard linux bridges).

I'm no Neutron expert, but I suspect that one could use either the
LinuxBridge *or* the OVS ML2 mechanism driver for the L2 agent, along
with a single flat provider network for your baremetal nodes.

Hopefully an Ironic + Neutron expert will confirm or deny this?

Best,
-jay