[openstack-dev] [Heat] Scattered thoughts on the PTL election

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 16:03:30 UTC 2015

The Heat project pioneered the concept of rotating the PTL for every
development cycle, and so far all of the early (before 2013) developers
who are still involved have served as PTL. I think this has been a
*tremendous* success for the project, and a testament to the sheer depth
of leadership talent that we are fortunate to have (as well as, it must
be said, to Thierry and the release management team and their ability to
quickly bring new people up to speed every cycle). We're already seeing
a lot of other projects moving toward the PTL role having a shorter time
horizon, and I suspect the main reason they're not moving more rapidly
in that direction is that it takes time to build up the expectation of
rotating succession and make sure that the leaders within each project
are preparing to take their turn. So I like to think that we've been a
good influence on the whole OpenStack community in this respect :)

(I'd also note that this expectation is very helpful in terms of
spreading the workload around and reducing the amount of work that falls
on a single person. To the extent that it is possible to be the PTL of
the Heat project and still get some real work done, not just clicking on
things in Launchpad - though, be warned, there is still quite a bit of
that involved.)

However, there is one area in which we have not yet been as successful:
so far all of the PTLs have been folks that were early developers of the
project. IMHO it's time for that to change: we have built an amazing
team of folks since then who are great leaders in the community and who
now have the experience to step up. I can think of at least 4 excellent
potential candidates just off the top of my head.

Obviously there is a time commitment involved - in fact Flavio's entire
blog post[1] is great and you should definitely read that first - but if
you are already devoting a majority of your time to the upstream Heat
project and you think this is likely to be sustainable for the next 6
months, then please run for PTL!

(You may safely infer from this that I won't be running this time.)

cheers,
Zane.

[1] http://blog.flaper87.com/post/something-about-being-a-ptl/