[openstack-dev] [Neutron] cloud-init IPv6 support

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Wed Sep 9 07:17:14 UTC 2015

Neutron already offers a DNS server (within the DHCP namespace, I think).
It does forward on non-local queries to an external DNS server, but it
already serves local names for instances; we'd simply have to set one
aside, or perhaps use one in a 'root' but nonlocal domain
(metadata.openstack e.g.).  In fact, this improves things slightly over the
IPv4 metadata server: IPv4 metadata is usually reached via the router,
whereas in ipv6 if we have a choice over addresses with can use a link
local address (and any link local address will do; it's not an address that
is 'magic' in some way, thanks to the wonder of service advertisement).

And per previous comments about 'Amazon owns this' - the current metadata
service is a de facto standard, which Amazon initiated but is not owned by
anybody, and it's not the only standard.  If you'd like proof of the
former, I believe our metadata service offers /openstack/ URLs, unlike
Amazon (mirroring the /openstack/ files on the config drive); and on the
latter, config-drive and Amazon-style metadata are only two of quite an
assortment of data providers that cloud-init will query.  If it makes you
think of it differently, think of this as the *Openstack* ipv6 metadata
service, and not the 'will-be-Amazon-one-day-maybe' service.