[openstack-dev] [cinder] Using storage drivers outside of openstack/cinder

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hp.com
Tue Sep 8 23:01:05 UTC 2015

Hey Tony,
   This has been a long running pain point/problem for some of the
drivers in Cinder.
As a reviewer, I try and -1 drivers that talk directly to the database
as I don't think
drivers *should* be doing that.   But, for some drivers, unfortunately,
in order to
implement the features, they currently need to talk to the DB. :(  One
of the new
features in Cinder, namely consistency groups, has a bug that basically
requires
drivers to talk to the DB to fetch additional data.  There are plans to
remedy this
problem in the M release of Cinder.   For other DB calls in drivers,
it's a case by
case basis for removing the call, that's not entirely obvious how to do
it at the
current time.   It's a topic that has come up now and again within the
community,
and I for one, would like to see the DB calls removed as well. Feel free to
help contribute!  It's OpenSource after all. :)

Cheers,
Walt