[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Plugin integration and environment file naming

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 08:40:55 UTC 2015

Hi all,

So, lately we're seeing an increasing number of patches adding integration
for various third-party plugins, such as different neutron and cinder
backends.

This is great to see, but it also poses the question of how we organize the
user-visible interfaces to these things long term.

Originally, I was hoping to land some Heat composability improvements[1]
which would allow for tagging templates as providing a particular
capability (such as "provides neutron ML2 plugin"), but this has stalled on
some negative review feedback and isn't going to be implemented for
Liberty.

However, today looking at [2] and [3], (which both add t-h-t integration to
enable neutron ML2 plugins), a simpler interim solution occured to me,
which is just to make use of a suggested/mandatory naming convention.

For example:

environments/neutron-ml2-bigswitch.yaml
environments/neutron-ml2-cisco-nexus-ucsm.yaml

Or via directory structure:

environments/neutron-ml2/bigswitch.yaml
environments/neutron-ml2/cisco-nexus-ucsm.yaml

This would require enforcement via code-review, but could potentially
provide a much more intuitive interface for users when they go to create
their cloud, and particularly it would make life much easier for any Ux to
ask "choose which neutron-ml2 plugin you want", because the available
options can simply be listed by looking at the available environment
files?

What do folks think of this, is now a good time to start enforcing such a
convention?

Steve

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/196656/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/213142/