[openstack-dev] Should v2 compatibility mode (v2.0 on v2.1) fixes be applicable for v2.1 too?

GHANSHYAM MANN ghanshyammann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 03:15:00 UTC 2015

Hi All,

As we all knows, api-paste.ini default setting for /v2 was changed to
run those on v2.1 (v2.0 on v2.1) which is really great think for easy
code maintenance in future (removal of v2 code).

To keep "v2.0 on v2.1" fully compatible with "v2.0 on v2.0", some bugs
were found[1] and fixed. But I think we should fix those only for v2
compatible mode not for v2.1.

For example bug#1491325, 'device' on volume attachment Request is
optional param[2] (which does not mean 'null-able' is allowed) and
v2.1 used to detect and error on usage of 'device' as "None". But as
it was used as 'None' by many /v2 users and not to break those, we
should allow 'None' on v2 compatible mode also. But we should not
allow the same for v2.1.

IMO v2.1 strong input validation feature (which helps to make API
usage in correct manner) should not be changed, and for v2 compatible
mode we should have another solution without affecting v2.1 behavior
may be having different schema for v2 compatible mode and do the
necessary fixes there.

Trying to know other's opinion on this or something I missed during
any discussion.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1491325
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1491511

[2]: http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-v2.1.html#attachVolume