[openstack-dev] [Neutron] cloud-init IPv6 support

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 17:57:10 UTC 2015

When we discussed this before on the neutron channel, I thought it was
because cloud-init doesn't support IPv6. We had wasted quite a bit of time
talking about adding support to our metadata service because I was under
the impression that cloud-init already did support IPv6.

IIRC, the argument against adding IPv6 support to cloud-init was that it
might be incompatible with how AWS chooses to implement IPv6 metadata, so
AWS would require a fork or other incompatible alternative to cloud-init in
all of their images.

Is that right?

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 7:30 AM, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:

> It's not a case of cloud-init supporting IPv6 - The Amazon EC2 metadata
> API defines transport level details about the API - and currently only
> defines a well known IPv4 link local address to connect to. No well known
> link local IPv6 address has been defined.
>
> I usually recommend config-drive for IPv6 enabled clouds due to this.
> --

Kevin Benton