[openstack-dev] [mistral][yaql] Addressing task result using YAQL function

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Thu Sep 3 11:23:20 UTC 2015

> On 02 Sep 2015, at 21:01, Dmitri Zimine <dzimine at stackstorm.com> wrote:
>
> Agree,
>
> with one detail: make it explicit -  task(task_name).

So do you suggest we just replace res() with task() and it looks like

task() - get task result when we are in “publish”
task(task_name) - get task result from anywhere

?

Is that correct you mean we must always specify a task name? The reason I’d like to have a simplified form (w/o task name) is that I see a lot of workflows that we have to repeat task name in publish so that it just look too verbose to me. Especially in case of very long task name.

Consider something like this:

tasks:
  get_volumes_by_names:
    with-items: name in <% $.vol_names %>
    workflow: get_volume_by_name name=<% $.name %>
    publish:
      volumes: <% $.get_volumes_by_names %>

So in publish we have to repeat a task name, there’s no other way now. I’d like to soften this requirement, but if you still want to use task names you’ll be able to.

> res - we often see folks confused by result of what (action, task, workflow) although we cleaned up our lingo: action-output, task-result, workflow-output…. but still worth being explicit.
>
> And full result is being thought as the root context $.
>
> Publishing to global context may be ok for now, IMO.

Not sure what you meant by "Publishing to global context”. Can you clarify please?

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.