[openstack-dev] [puppet] hosting developer documentation on http://docs.openstack.org/developer/

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Wed Sep 2 18:53:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> TL;DR, I propose to move our developer documentation from wiki to
> something like http://docs.openstack.org/developer/puppet-openstack
>
> (Look at http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/ for example).
>
> For now, most of our documentation is on
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Puppet but I think it would be great to
> use RST format and Gerrit so anyone could submit documentation
> contribute like we do for code.
>
> I propose a basic table of contents now:
> Puppet modules introductions
> Coding Guide
> Reviewing code
>
> I'm taking the opportunity of the puppet sprint to run this discussion
> and maybe start some work of people agrees to move on.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Emilien Macchi

Please consider the Puppet Approved criteria[1] when making decisions about
documentation. In particular, we should be making sure the README contained
within the module is complete. Publishing .rst docs to docs.o.o is not a
substitute.

The READMEs and examples/ in our modules are generally inaccurate or out of
date. We should focus on enhancing the content of our docs before worrying
about the logistics of publishing them.

Colleen

[1] https://forge.puppetlabs.com/approved/criteria