[openstack-dev] [Blazar] Anyone interested?

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 16:04:04 UTC 2015

Le 02/09/2015 17:50, Pierre Riteau a écrit :
> On 1 Sep 2015, at 23:15, Sylvain Bauza <sbauza at redhat.com
> <mailto:sbauza at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>> Le 01/09/2015 22:31, Ildikó Váncsa a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm glad to see the interest and I also support the idea of using
>>> the IRC channel that is already set up for further communication.
>>> Should we aim for a meeting/discussion there around the end of this
>>> week or during next week?
>>>
>>> @Nikolay, Sylvain: Thanks for support and bringing together a list
>>> of action items as very first steps.
>>>
>>> @Pierre: You wrote that you are using Blazar. Are you using it as is
>>> with an older version of OpenStack or you have a modified version of
>>> the project/code?
>> I'm actually really surprised to
>> seehttps://www.chameleoncloud.org/docs/user-guides/bare-metal-user-guide/which
>> describes quite fine how to use Blazar/Climate either using the CLI
>> or by Horizon.
>>
>> The latter is actually not provided within the git tree, so I guess
>> Chameleon added it downstream. That's fine, maybe something we could
>> upstream if Pierre and his team are okay ?
>>
>> -Sylvain
>
> We are using a modified version of Blazar (based on the latest master
> branch commit) with OpenStack Juno (RDO packaging).
>
> The only really mandatory patch that we had to develop was for
> blazar-nova due to functions moving from oslo-incubator to oslo.i18n:
> https://github.com/ChameleonCloud/blazar-nova/commit/346627320e87c8e067db6e842935d243c9640e6e
> On top of this we developed a number of patches, most of them to fix
> bugs that we discovered in Blazar, with a few to get specific features
> or behavior required for Chameleon.
>
> We also used the code developed by Pablo
> (http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-June/038506.html)
> to provide an Horizon dashboard for creating and managing leases.
> We even developed a Gantt chart of physical node reservations, but
> this code reads data straight from the SQL database rather than using
> a new Blazar API, so it cannot be contributed as is.
>
> We have always wanted to contribute back our improvements to Blazar
> and we are looking forward to it now that there is renewed interest
> from the community.
> All our OpenStack code should already be available on GitHub at
> https://github.com/ChameleonCloud/

That's great work, thanks for the explanations Pierre.
Since you're looking like the Blazar maintainer while Winter was coming,
I'd certainly consider your commitment as enough trustable for being
backported to the master branch.

Nikolay, you told that the Blazar gate is broken, right ? I take that as
action #0 to fix, and then we can try to backport Pierre's changes into
the master branch.

Now, let's switch over IRC, I don't want to pollute the ML for those
technical details.

Anyone who still wants to contribute to Blazar can join
#openstack-blazar and yell, for sure.

-Sylvain