[openstack-dev] [Swift] ObjectController::async_update() latest change

Kirubakaran Kaliannan kirubak at zadarastorage.com
Wed Sep 2 06:22:02 UTC 2015

Hi,

Regarding
https://github.com/openstack/swift/commit/2289137164231d7872731c2cf3d81b86f34f01a4

I am profiling each section of the swift code. Notice
ObjectController::async_update()has high latency, and tried to use threads
to parallelize the container_update. Noticed the above changes, and I
profiled the above code changes as well.

On my set up, per container async_update takes 2 to 4 millisecond and takes
9-11 ms to complete the 3 asyncupdate’s. With the above changes it came down
to 7 to 9 ms, but I am expecting this to go further below to 4ms at least.

1.	Do we have any latency number for the improvement on the above change ?
2.	Trying to understand the possibility, do we really want to wait for all
async_update()to complete ? can we just return success, once when one
async_update() is successful ?

Thanks,
-kiru