[openstack-dev] [nova][bugs] more specific tags?

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Tue Sep 1 08:28:36 UTC 2015

Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote on 08/31/2015 10:16:23
PM:

> From: Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> Date: 08/31/2015 10:21 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][bugs] more specific tags?
>

> On 8/28/2015 10:37 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> > This is a proposal to enhance the list of offical tags for our bugs
> > in Launchpad. During the tagging process in the last weeks it seems
> > to me that some of the tags are too coarse-grained. Would you see a
> > benefit in enhancing the official list to more fine-grained tags?
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Would you see this as benefitial? If yes, which tags would you like to
> > have additionally? If no, what did I miss or overlook?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Markus Zoeller (markus_z)
>
> Given my cynical nature, I have to ask, are the bug tags really helping
> with focusing triage by sub-teams?  Or are we somehow pulling or
> planning to pull this info into some analysis, like, 'we have a lot of
> bugs in component x, use case y, so we need to refactor and/or beef up
> testing there'.  Otherwise I feel like we're just adding more official
> tags that very few people will be aware of or care about.
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Riedemann

If this would help the sub-teams to split things up cannot be answered
by me. I hope some of the sub-team leaders will give their opinion here.

>From a users point of view I don't care, as an example, if the libvirt
driver is (theoretically) without bugs. I'm interested if I can do a
live-migration/snapshot/reboot/<your-favorite-feature-here> and if I
can do so, what are my restrictions. So, yes, the rationale behind the
proposal was indeed to get an impression where it makes sense to invest
time and effort, mainly from a use case perspective through the layers.
We have enough open bugs to be busy all the time and I don't want to
make any orders of direction. You could see it as a navigation system.
It makes nice suggestions which way you could go, but you are free to
take another route because of personal experience or unforeseen events.

Regards,
Markus Zoeller (markus_z)