[openstack-dev] [ironic] [horizon] ironic panels

Beth Elwell e.r.elwell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 15:50:04 UTC 2015

Hi Jim,

I have replied inline to your comments below:

On 19/10/2015 19:38, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 07:05:04PM +0100, Beth Elwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am currently in the process of writing an Ironic panel in Horizon
>> upstream. It was originally intended for this panel to be written in
>> Angular JS, however, as I understand, no horizon angular work will
>> merge for several months, and 2-3 panels (of which ironic is not one)
>> are being moved to the feature branch to iterate on the design pattern
>> that they want to use to implement the angular.
>>
>> With regard to the ironic panel, this means that in order to implement
>> it in angular, it will take weeks or perhaps months to merge and even
>> when it does, it may well need to be rewritten to follow design patterns
>> being set at the moment.
>>
>> Therefore I propose that I continue to develop this as a Horizon python
>> panel as a short term solution to allow a UI to exist for our users of
>> Ironic ASAP and longer term make use of the ironic webclient and the
>> work that krotscheck is currently doing on that.
>>
>> I would appreciate feedback with regard to whether the ironic community
>> are happy for me to continue on with developing a horizon panel or would
>> like me to work on an angular panel.
> In general, I like the idea of "get a web interface to users quickly",
> and in that spirit I think building a horizon panel is the right thing
> to do.
>
> I do love the webclient work; I think it's great. However, considering
> that (as far as I know) there's only two people working on Ironic web
> interfaces, is it valuable to be working on two different web interfaces
> right now? In the worst case:
I have had contact from another party interested in helping get a
horizon panel up and running quickly and so it is definitely doable to
have that being worked on as well as the work on the webclient.
> * horizon panel will be built
> * webclient will also be built
> * horizon will figure out angular stuff
> * webclient will be re-written to work with horizon
> * webclient will likely take significant time to merge into horizon
> * old horizon panel will be deprecated
> * (in time) old horizon panel will be removed
>
> And in the best case, only the rewrite step is skipped, and maybe the
> merge into horizon won't take long. There's also a question about how
> much different the two are, and how large of a leap that is for users.
>
> That seems like a lot of extra effort and maintenance for an entire
> team; let alone two people. So I question if it's worth working on the
> webclient, or punting on that until horizon is ready, and then
> refactoring the horizon panel into angular.
>
> Is there a clear benefit to having both worked on in parallel?

As I see it they ultimately fulfill different purposes and therefore
developing both is not a waste of resources or time. The panel is a
short term solution to fulfill a user requirement for a user interface
within Horizon. The webclient is a long term mission to create
independent API libraries in javascript in order to make openstack more
composable.
> // jim

Beth