[openstack-dev] [infra] Upgrade to Gerrit 2.11

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Oct 14 12:47:58 UTC 2015

On 10/14/2015 07:57 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>> On 14 Oct 2015, at 02:08, Zaro <zaro0508 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> The openstack-infra team would like to upgrade from our Gerrit 2.8 to
>> Gerrit 2.11.  We are proposing to do the upgrade shortly after the
>> Mitaka summit.  The main motivation behind the upgrade is to allow us
>> to take advantage of some of the new REST api, ssh commands, and
>> stream events features.  Also we wanted to stay closer to upstream so
>> it will be easier to pick up more recent features and fixes.
>>
>> We want to let everyone know that there is a big UI change in Gerrit
>> 2.11.  The change screen (CS), which is the main view for a patchset,
>> has been completely replaced with a new change screen (CS2).  While
>> Gerrit 2.8 contains both old CS and CS2, I believe everyone in
>> Openstack land is really just using the old CS.  CS2 really wasn't
>> ready in 2.8 and really should never be used in that version.  The CS2
>> has come a long way since then and many other big projects have moved
>> to using Gerrit 2.11 so it's not a concern any longer.  If you would
>> like a preview of Gerrit 2.11 and maybe help us test it, head over to
>> http://review-dev.openstack.org.  If you are very opposed to CS2 then
>> you may like Gertty (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gertty) instead.  If
>> neither option works for you then maybe you can help us create a new
>> alternative :)
>>
>> We are soliciting feedback so please let us know what you think.
>
> I had a chance to use the new gerrit UI on gerrithub and on internally in my company, and I need to admit that it breaks my keyboard based flow, and I haven’t found a way to behave it the old way.
>
> Specifically, I use [ and ] keys to switch between files in the same patchset. It’s especially useful when comparing mostly identical patchsets, or reviewing backports. Now, with the new UI, it does not work for me, so I need to reach to my mouse to switch between files. Also ‘r’ did not work for me, I expect other shortcuts being affected too. It could be a local configuration issue, but the fact that I experience it on two independent setups suggests that it’s an upstream issue.

On review-dev [ and ] still work for me (as well as the other keyboard
short cuts).

The one shortcut change between CS1 and CS2 that trips me up flipping
back and forth is 'r' used to be review, now it's toggle the review flag
on  file. Now it's 'a' to review and leave comments.

> Another problem with the new UI I have is that sometimes it does not show full header of the page (with the links to file list, diff modes, etc.) when I’m in patch review mode, and I need to reload the page to see it. That could be a browser issue, but I checked it for both Safari and Chrome - fails the same way.
>
> Ihar

Sean Dague
http://dague.net