[openstack-dev] Requests + urllib3 + distro packages

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Oct 12 13:05:33 UTC 2015

On 10/09/2015 02:39 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> - get the distros to stop un-vendoring urllib3

I'm not the package maintainer of requests, but I know that Barry
Warsaw, the actual maintainer, will not want to do that.

The other solutions which you didn't mention:

1- Stop using a vendorized version of requests, and fork that project to
make it use dependencies at it should be from the start.

2- Convince upstream to stop vendorizing urllib3 and work more with
upstream of urllib3 to have them release when they need it.

3- Always use the distro version of requests, never the one from venv

While 1- is not realistic (unless someone volunteers), and we already
tried 2- without luck, 3- can happen easily.

BTW, the same applies for tablib which is in a even more horrible state
that makes it impossible to package with Py3 support. But tablib could
be removed from our (build-)dependency list, if someone cares about
re-writing cliff-tablib, which IMO wouldn't be that much work. Doug, how
many beers shall I offer you for that work? :)

Just my 2 cents hopping to provide some contrib in this discussion,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)