[openstack-dev] [neutron] New cycle started. What are you up to, folks?

Henry Gessau gessau at cisco.com
Wed Oct 7 16:09:42 UTC 2015

Thanks Ihar. Here is what I plan to work on, or hope to help out with:

Continue working on alembic to support online migrations.

The alembic migrations seem to be a mysterious thing to many developers. I plan
to improve the devref documentation around this. The --autogenerate of
revisions, in particular, should work smoothly for developers and across the
various neutron stadium projects.

In Liberty each Neutron sub-project has a separate alembic environment and that
prevents sub-projects from having migration dependencies on other sub-projects.
So I will fix that.

Neutron's DB transaction issues at scale are a problem. I am not an expert in
this area, but would like to co-ordinate an effort with Mike Bayer and experts
from Neutron and other OpenStack projects to characterize the issues and plan
some solutions and/or best practices.

Neutron's IPv6 support is now quite extensive, but there are still some loose
ends like router HA support, and being able to use IPv6 for API/management. I
will help to co-ordinate the IPv6 updates in Mitaka. I will also sync up with
the state of IPv6 support in the *aaS and stadium repos and help out with IPv6
efforts there.

I think Salvatore's proposal [1] for API evolution is extremely important to
Neutron's future and I would like to see it happen this cycle. I will help out
where I can.

I want to help (mostly by reviewing and testing) the effort to make Neutron
support Python 3.

Always willing to help with, review, and improve Neutron's tests and testing
strategies.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/136760

--
Henry