[openstack-dev] [Fuel] py.test vs testrepository

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:14:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:40 PM Roman Prykhodchenko <me at romcheg.me> wrote:

> Atm I have the following pros. and cons. regarding testrepository:
>
> pros.:
>
> 1. It’s ”standard" in OpenStack so using it gives Fuel more karma and
> moves it more under big tent

I don't think that big tent model aims at eliminating diversity of tools we
use in our projects. A collection of web frameworks used in big tent is an
example of that.

2. It’s in global requirements, so it doesn’t cause dependency hell

That can be solved by adding py.test to openstack/requirements.

cons.:
> 1. Debugging is really hard

I'd say that debugging here is not the right term. Every aspect of
developing with testr is harder than with py.test. py.test tends to just
work where you need additional tools and effort with testr.

In general I don't see any benefit the project can get from using testr
while its limitations will bite developers at every turn.