[openstack-dev] [Fuel] py.test vs testrepository

Roman Prykhodchenko me at romcheg.me
Mon Oct 5 14:34:06 UTC 2015

Disclaimer:
I didn’t want to fire up this war but it silently hit one of my patches so now I think it’s better to spread it to a wide audience.

When I was dealing with one of the regular dependency hell in Fuel Client I noticed, that stuff which is not in global requirements may make the mentioned hell hotter, even if those requirements are test requirements. After that discovery I started aligning all *requirements.txt to Kilo’s global requirements and trying to remove everything which it not there. A special dependency is of course py.test: replacing it is a very controversial thing which I’d like to discuss here.

Atm I have the following pros. and cons. regarding testrepository:

pros.:

1. It’s ”standard" in OpenStack so using it gives Fuel more karma and moves it more under big tent
2. It’s in global requirements, so it doesn’t cause dependency hell

cons.:

1. Debugging is really hard

I’d like to head your thoughts.

- romcheg