[openstack-dev] [neutron] New cycle started. What are you up to, folks?

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Fri Oct 2 15:34:17 UTC 2015

On 01/10/15 14:47, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I talked recently with several contributors about what each of us plans for the next cycle, and found it’s quite useful to share thoughts with others, because you have immediate yay/nay feedback, and maybe find companions for next adventures, and what not. So I’ve decided to ask everyone what you see the team and you personally doing the next cycle, for fun or profit.
>
> That’s like a PTL nomination letter, but open to everyone! :) No commitments, no deadlines, just list random ideas you have in mind or in your todo lists, and we’ll all appreciate the huge pile of awesomeness no one will ever have time to implement even if scheduled for Xixao release.

:-)

My plans are centred around the model for routed networking, and Calico
as a particular implementation of that.  But I'd also like to continue
understanding Neutron more broadly and deeply, so that I can be more
generally helpful.

_Routed networking and Calico_

- Help Carl to define API and data model enhancements that describe
routed networking semantics.

- Help with the core Neutron implementation of that.

- Update networking-calico accordingly.

- Enhance pluggable IPAM so that IP allocation for an instance can
depend on where that instance's host is.  (This is relevant when the
Neutron network maps onto some relatively complex physical network, and
for route aggregation on fabric routers.)

_Wider Neutron_

- Better understand L3 initiatives like BGP dynamic routing.

- Better understand Neutron scaling.

- Contribute more across the board.

Hope that's useful!

    Neil