[openstack-dev] [neutron][macvtap] [ml2] New cycle started. What are you up to, folks?

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 2 09:56:51 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to to achieve 2 things:

#1 Add common macvtap support for all kind of interfaces to neutron core
(via a macvtap ml2-plugin & agent) [1]. There has been a long discussion
where this should land but finally we Kyle decided to do it in tree [2].

For the agent part, Sean Collins and myself are currently evaluating a
refactoring and extension of the linuxbridge agent to support both,
linuxbridge and macvtap attachments. If this will end up in just sharing
classes or if we will create a agent-plugin-framework is still to be
discussed.

#2 Continue Modular-layer-2-agent discussion
The refactoring mentioned in #1 could be a first step into the direction
of a modular-layer-2-agent - or at least to common agent code. I will
gather information from passed discussions and try to come up with ideas
about feasible steps to such a modular agent.
At least between sriov, linuxbridge and macvtap I can see a lot of
potential. Not sure about OVS which has become much more powerful and
complex in the meanwhile - we will see.

Any feedback is welcome!
Thanks!

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1480979