[openstack-dev] [puppet] Running Debian packages on top of Trusty

Ivan Udovichenko iudovichenko at mirantis.com
Fri Oct 2 12:43:26 UTC 2015

Hello,

On 10/02/2015 03:15 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Hey Thomas,
>
> On 10/02/2015 04:33 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> We also may need, at some point, to add the type mosdebian and moscentos
>> to the list of supported package suite, as there still will be some
>> differences between the upstream Debian or CentOS packages. What is the
>> best way to add this variable values?
>>
>> Could you Puppet experts explain to me and my Mirantis colleagues again?
>
> So we partially discussed about that during our last weekly meeting [1]
> and it come out the best way to support both Debian & Ubuntu are Puppet
> conditionals, like we already have in place.
>
> [1]
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/puppet_openstack/2015/puppet_openstack.2015-09-29-15.00.html

It does not solve the original problem. Let's say you want to install
Debian packages on-top of Ubuntu, it will fail and you will have to use
workarounds, for example in the params.pp [1] you have specified.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-nova/blob/master/manifests/params.pp#L100-L107

> See the example with puppet-nova |2] where we use $::operatingsystem
> fact [3] to detect if we're running Ubuntu or Debian.
> If we're running Ubuntu, we take reference from UCA packaging. If
> Debian, we take your work as reference.
>
> [2]
> https://github.com/openstack/puppet-nova/blob/master/manifests/params.pp#L100-L107
> [3] https://puppetlabs.com/facter

What we need is some variable which can override the decision which
Operating System is used and thereby required packages will be
installed. At least for Debian, that is what we really need.
I'd be grateful if you look into it. Thank you.