[openstack-dev] [puppet] Running Debian packages on top of Trusty

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 12:15:38 UTC 2015

Hey Thomas,

On 10/02/2015 04:33 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> We also may need, at some point, to add the type mosdebian and moscentos
> to the list of supported package suite, as there still will be some
> differences between the upstream Debian or CentOS packages. What is the
> best way to add this variable values?
>
> Could you Puppet experts explain to me and my Mirantis colleagues again?

So we partially discussed about that during our last weekly meeting [1]
and it come out the best way to support both Debian & Ubuntu are Puppet
conditionals, like we already have in place.

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/puppet_openstack/2015/puppet_openstack.2015-09-29-15.00.html

See the example with puppet-nova |2] where we use $::operatingsystem
fact [3] to detect if we're running Ubuntu or Debian.
If we're running Ubuntu, we take reference from UCA packaging. If
Debian, we take your work as reference.

[2]
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-nova/blob/master/manifests/params.pp#L100-L107
[3] https://puppetlabs.com/facter

> Sorry that I didn't take notes about it and couldn't explain,
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)
>
> P.S: Where may I find the best tutorial to get up-to-speed about puppet,
> so that I know what I'm talking about next time?

I personally learnt (and am still learning) by using official
documentation [4], that I suggest you to start with.

[4] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/

Hope it helps,
--
Emilien Macchi