[openstack-dev] [all] Liberty release - what is the correct version - 2015.2.0, 8.0.0 or 12.0.0?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Oct 1 12:21:19 UTC 2015

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-10-01 10:54:20 +1000 (+1000), Richard Jones wrote:
> [...]
>> I believe that if we are moving to semver, then 12.0.0 is
>> appropriate.
>
> Each project participating in the release is following semver
> independently, with the first digit indicating the number of
> OpenStack integrated releases in which that project has
> participated. This means the version numbers will vary between
> projects. For Horizon it's 8.0.0 but for, say, Nova it's 12.0.0 and
> Sahara's 3.0.0. This was chosen specifically to avoid future
> assumptions that the version numbers will remain in sync as they
> will naturally diverge in coming cycles anyway.

Also Horizon Liberty RC2 was tagged 8.0.0.0rc1 (and liberty-2 8.0.0.0b2,
and liberty-3 8.0.0.0b3), so it shouldn't come as a complete surprise.

> For further details, see the thread starting around
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/067006.html
> which lists all of them (noting there have since been some
> corrections to that initial plan).

Also:
http://ttx.re/new-versioning.html

And we finally publish the series / versions map at:
http://docs.openstack.org/releases/

Hope this helps,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)